Les souris grises cushion cover {quilting}

Friday 5 October 2012

As promised here is the little grey mice cushion that will be in the baby's room. So nothing fancy in terms of pattern, it is all made up of equilateral triangles pieced together in strips. 


The fabrics chosen is as follows:

- The little mice fabric is from Heather Ross,
- The other fabrics are the ones used for the Totally Groovy QAL - so it fits together. 

I quilted each little 'white' square and used the Aurifil I won for the blue and orange quilting. I had made a drawing before to see what I wanted to do. I think any quilting pattern would have looked bland however next to the colourful triangles. I only quilted in colours the top and bottom colour triangles lines. 



I have used for the first time some fusible wadding (Hobbs Heirloom). I hate when my fabric is bunching when I quilt. It did work, as in it was much easier to quilt and no bunching - and it was not like cardboard when finished - Result. However the top quilt kept un-sticking itself and I had to iron it again and again. I may need next time to bast it. It worked ok for this project because it is quite small but I intended to use the same wadding for the Totally Groovy QAL and that is a bit bigger. 



I went for simplicity in terms of the backing - yes I just wanted to finish it in the end, but also the top is so fussy I needed something more plain. I used some Echo from Lotta Jansdotter - in reference of some of the fabrics used at the front.  



So not the easiest project to do - but a great result for my first handling of triangles, at least I think.. This is the chair that will stay in the baby room, and it seems to work really well. 

Linking up to TGIFF today hosted by Better Off Thread.

17 comments:

  1. It's darling! When is baby coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so lovely! I love the orange and blue stitching - perfect touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet pillow! I want to try something with triangles that is not the half square variety!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nat its gorgeous! Such a perfect nusery cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the orange and blue quilting. I would try 505 spray glue for the Groovy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pillow is lovely.I use iron-on batting all the time now and only once have I had trouble with it not sticking properly. The back of the quilt didn't stick, no matter how many times I ironed it and in the end I just put it down to a bad batch. I really like iron-on batting, for me it saves so much time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those mice are adorable. I've always loved black and red together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely cushion, your triangle piecing looks fantastic! Love the idea of using blue and orange thread for the quilting. Beautiful work, Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cushion with just the right amount of orange!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love the colours - there isn't enough navy and orange in the world these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cushion is adorable! I love the soft colours with the strong black/blue and splashes of orange!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the cushion and the materials you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is just lovely. I love the quilting it works so well with the design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your fabric combo. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the cushion, blues and oranges work so well together.

    ReplyDelete