Foxy Hat | WIP {knitting}

Wednesday 27 November 2013

I finally started tackling my knitting list, and of course it is not as easy as I thought it would be. Clever designs are great but slower to finish.


I put this particular project down for a full knitting day, except that although I found the perfect yarn colour and type (from the Village Haberdashery) my gauge was way off! You cannot find Phildar Givre (the recommended yarn) anymore, it has been discontinued, so making a gauge is essential (not just me saying it, so do a lot knitters on ravelry on this project). I went 2 needles size to get the right gauge.


It also took me 2 hours to work out the twisted German cast on. To be fair I was watching the wrong YouTube video, but this one is brilliant. And this cast on is in fact brilliant!
The finish is great - looking sturdier and neater than other cast on techniques - and it is super stretchy - so ideal for socks and hats. I will be using it more often! 


The knitting of the hat is in fact not in the round but in the round (it is confusing, you have to have read the pattern) is also brilliant and saves a lot of yarn.



Pattern: Foxy & Wolfie by Katy Tricot (available on Ravelry)
Needles: 4.5 (DPNs) and 5 mm (circular) 
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted in Sunset and Natural (found here)


The next stage should be knitted fast now that I understood the concept. I am so happy to have chosen this pattern, I feel like I am learning a lot of techniques I will be able to use in future projects - worth every penny. 

11 comments:

  1. in the round but not in the round? Anyhow, the hat is brilliant. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that was Malabrigo! Smooshy and soft. What a cute hat design. You go on challenging yourself. I will check out that CO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my - cannot believe (!!!) how cute this hat is. You always find just the greatest patterns and have the best makes xx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute, but I am now totally confused!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep knitting! It's going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds very complicated... but the hat is totally cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're killing me here with all this cuteness. Never seen a fox hat before and it is adorable. Great job on the knitting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very interesting. I wonder if I have time to give it a go.... A Christmas present for a little one maybe... Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool hat and how funny. I didn't know that this cast on methods is called the twisted German cast on. It is the cast on method I learned knitting with, but maybe this is because I am German. I am curious: what cast on methods do you normally use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. SQUEE! This is an adorable hat pattern! Good luck tackling the rest of your knit-list!

    ReplyDelete