The Big Tidy Up | WIP {Sewing and Knitting}

Wednesday 20 August 2014

This is my second go at making myself a boxy pouch - a few years after my first go.. And there is a very good reason for that wait, the first attempt was really bad, did not look boxy whatsoever, everything that could go wrong probably did go wrong with that project, except that I never found out where exactly. But I still think that boxy pouches are the best way to organise knitting WIPs, especially small ones like a certain shawl.  


Sooooo I decided to have another go - and this time it would be made properly. I would read the instructions, I know essential but I am not that good at that, maybe do some basting to make sure I am happy before sewing with the machine - and basically turning a quick project into a really long one.

I found a tutorial by Kelly who blogs at KelbySews that I really liked - there are so many out there - but this one seemed to make sense (and have enough pictures for my photographic brain). I had the fabric and the zipper in my stash - result! 

I love this sashiko-effect fabric (bought here on Etsy ages ago), and the lining is some leftover fabric from the Highbury and Islington baby quilt. I cannot believe how well the two fabrics go together.


So far so good - I have oversized the pouch a bit, so it may not look like what you expect when it is finished - but hopefully still look like a boxy pouch. 

As you will have seen, I am still knitting Settler (the test knit for Libby), and I have also got a new magazine about natural living - Taproot - which has also knitting patterns (by no other than Carrie Bostick Hoge), recipes and experience of natural living. Each issue has also a theme, if you don't want to subscribe. 

Check out other WIP projets over a
t WIP Wednesday and Small Things today. 

FINALLY I wanted to let you know that I will host my second sale of yarn and quilting books tomorrow on the blog (you can see a sneak peek on IG). This time I will sell a few balls of the same yarn, so you can get a bigger project out of a purchase. Be sure to check it out!

Follow on Bloglovin

15 comments:

  1. Good luck with your boxy pouch- the fabrics/colours are certainly wonderful together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do great, I did not see ugly things on your website:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your pouch will look fine. I can't sew and wouldn't even attempt it! I am in awe of those of you who can actually get seams to match.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pouch looks very promising - I really like the yellow fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your boxy, you are braver than I. I had an incident when we were learning how to sew in school and haven't dabbled in it much since. Love the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this so many neat things you post- your pouch looks so pretty and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you are doing fine making that pouch. I hate putting in zippers and yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabric, I am sure it will be a huge success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh, the fabric is gorgeous!! Glad it's working out better for you this time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh I love the colours of those clouds!
    I've made a few of those boxy pouches, and they're pretty simple once you figure out what's actually going on, but wow, the first one is a doozy! I think i'm much more visual, if I'd seen it being done in person I wouldn't have a problem with it. But even photo tutorials left me stumped. (Mostly on how to sew the corners once the squares were removed. that was a huge "ah-HA" moment. haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colours are great and I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your magazines :) I'm loving your recommendations.
    Shawl is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the fabric for your pouch, I am sure it will be wonderful! I wish I loved to sew, so many fun projects!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a terrific eye for fabric. I really like this one. Very curious about the shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Japanese influenced fabric, it will make a great pouch. good luck with the shawl

    ReplyDelete